|Immutable Page | Raw Text | Print View | History
FrontPage > Hacker`s Guide to phpWebSite > Who wants it, who does not?
Who wants phpWebSite, who does not?
phpWebSite is a web content management system. Like hundreds of others. It is php-based and MySQL?. Like most others. It is a derivate of phpNuke. Like there are a lot of others. And it`s BETA-Software.
Usually, you wouldn`t want to use BETA-Software on a productive site. Then again, there are quite a few people who do so any way. Like me. But how comes?
What phpWebSite CAN do
- Easy to set up
- One single interface for everything
- Everyone sees the same, from super user down to anonymous user
- Right-management (per-group, per-user)
- Module-handling (write your own content-containers)
- easy to use Database-interface, template engine, translation
- Show Photoalbums, Announcements and a calendar out of the box
- Third-party applications like Multi-paged Text (Article Manager) or a Wiki (like this one) available
- powerful theme concept (CSS files, templates and even php-support on a per-theme basis)
What phpWebSite CANNOT do
- No fool-proof content-input, no WYSIWYG editor out of the box
- No content syndication, RSS-support, at least no robust one.
- No hack/patch management, like others have
- No AJAX support
- No built-in content-versioning or built-in multi-language content support
- Not XHTML compilant (even though it claims it is, not even the official homepage validates!)
- No web-based template / theme editor
- code hard to understand
- rough edges
Last modified 2005-10-17 22:31 by rck